Wednesday, November 4, 2009

11/4 - Pyramiddd

Disclaimer: This band used to be called Starfucker. Starfucker is a terrible name for a band, but the music was still good - in the way that it didn't sound anything like music that would be played by a band named Starfucker.

Lately, it may seem that I'm revealing a little snarky salt for these bands that I'm also declaring worth your while. For that I blame an excess of data entry and all those annoying little ghost spots that are floating in my vision lately. It makes me cranky. Or, it could be that, frankly, I'm not really finding a shit ton of terrific bands out there lately, short of older bands that I'm just coming around to, or recent bands that I've Daily Bombed, but haven't had much chance to really dive into headfirst and swim around in. So, when a band like Pyramiddd comes around, it is with a sigh of relief that something comes floating out of the Lady Gaga-tization of my beloved electro, and the Wavvves-itis of all these suddenly hot "bedroom minimalists" out there. I'm bored with that stuff. Bring me something with life, with virtuosity, that I can dance to without being so ashamed that I want to kill myself afterward, or that I can at least listen to while I read without thinking that the connection has gone all fuzzy and crappy on my stereo because my cat ate the speaker cords...again.

Pyramiddd's got a mellow electronic vibe to it, without sounding too drippy or too lo-fi. It's easy on the ears. Maybe not something you'll remember in a few years, but definitely something that'll get you through a few minutes of this bleak musical winter. But, if I sound a little hesitant to give a fully glowing review, it's really just because they made a really cruddy video that embarrasses me. There seem to be an inordinant amount of douchebags dancing around on bad quality video. Why would you do that to an otherwise decent song? Advice: Try to listen with your eyes closed, and ignore the philosophical pretentious junk at the end. Skip the end of "Medicine" and revel, instead, in the really really nice second offering of "Rawnald Gregory Erickson the Second."



No comments:

Post a Comment