Wednesday, December 16, 2009

12/16 - Best Coast

Hey fellas and ladies who scooped up all the copies of the Best Coast "Make You Mine" 45 before I could molest it with my grubby little Mastercard...well, thanks for nothing jerks.

My laptop, tired of just breathing through the (expensive) life support of a brand new hard drive, committed violent suicide last month and took all my music with it. So long old friends, I thought,waving goodbye, Golden Filter I will miss you most of all. I've decided to turn lemons into some wicked alcoholic limoncello and take the opportunity to spend MUCH MORE money on MUCH LESS music by almost exclusively exhausting my wallet on mail order 7" records from bands I either have written about or will one day write about right here. While I will say that waking up in the morning shuffling over to the turntable in my new onesie striped pajamas to drop the needle has been pretty nice (Baltimore's Teen Beat a Go Go album reprint, I'm totally looking at you my friend), I do miss the simplicity of my days as DJ Pressplay.

Had I a computer, for example, I might be waking up listening to Best Coast. Best Coast referring, of course, to the West Coast no matter what you Yanks may say to the contrary. Best Coast is a fairly recent product of Los Angeles - one of the many bands who've tenured in the hallowed halls of The Smell downtown (a puzzling venue for it's jankiness and all-ages utter lack of alcohol...boo!), and who will return there February 2nd as part of a tour with Brooklynites the Vivian Girls. If you like what you hear and just can't wait for that match-up, you can also catch them this Friday, December 18th at Spaceland with the excellent band Foreign Born. Best Coast is a boy girl duo - Bethany and Bob. Apparently, they met when Bob used to babysit Bethany. Being that Bob is a large Asian dude with straggly long hair, I have to smile imagining what his possible qualifications as a babysitter might have been. I give both of them an A+ as a band, though. I'm hoping that soonish we'll be seeing a full length from these up-and-comers.



Tell me this fan-made combination of "When I'm With You" and a scene from "The Young Girls of Rochefort" doesn't make you smile your cheeks off.



And here's a nice version of "The Sun Was High (So Was I)" live from a bathroom. Witness how gloriously the guitar reverberates off the bathtub filled with Budweiser!

No comments:

Post a Comment