Wednesday, December 23, 2009

12/23 - Oh No Ono

A couple of weeks ago, the SXSW 2010 organizers released their first 200 confirmed bands out of what will eventually grow to about 7 trillion for the festival. About three seconds after finding the link, I seem to have invited a few squirrels to live in my stomach the way it started twitching with nervous excitement. Time to bust out the spreadsheet! When do I start RSVPing for free day shows?! I need to buy a plane ticket and borrow a bike! I must have a plaaaaaannnnn!! But, yeah, that's a few months off, and I'm really hoping that even I can keep my anal retentive tendencies to over-schedule (and then eventually completely chuck all semblances of said schedule after about 4 free Southern Comfort and Pepsis at the Fader Fort) in check for at least another month or two.

In the meantime, I can at least build up some excitement for some of the far-flung bands that're already queuinig up to play for my enjoyment. One of those being the buzzworthy Danish lot, Oh No Ono.

Oh No Ono's been lounging around the Denmark music scene for several years now, and by all appearances have done rather well for themselves there, but with their recently released album at the end of this year, they are starting to generate a little hype Stateside, too. With a mix of pensive, plaintive indie finesse and an undertone of theatrical glam, it's hard to see how they could go wrong on the merit of that alone. But, on top of this, they seem to have infused their latest album with a much warmer, thicker tone. And they also have a real knack for making some WOW videos. Take, for instance, the below video for their single "Swim." The song is dreamy as hell, and the video both excites me and makes me profoundly uncomfortable. What lives in the minds of Danes, anyway?



And this one for "Icicles" is awfully pretty as well:



And for the sake of a more rockin' example:

No comments:

Post a Comment