Thursday, May 28, 2009

5/28 - Bachelorette

I'm not one of those people that can't stand to be around smarter people. I actually love being the dumbest one in the room. It means that I can spend my time focusing on stuffing my face with day-glo CheezeBalls, and nodding along to the scintillating conversation pretending not to be getting secretly very drunk, with no expectation that I will ever have any valuable contribution anyway. Especially if that discussion is about politics, religion, automobiles, or science of any kind. Bachelorette's songs kind of give me that same feeling, only wrapped in really pretty music. I can just sit back while Annabel and her IBM (the two studio members of Bachelorette...and yes, that's IBM as in the computer) tell me all kinds of stuff about astronomy, robotics, and computer interfacing, and enjoy the fact that she can make appealing music about these kinds of things while I ponder the rice in my burrito, or watch my cat lick his butt.

In all seriousness, though, Bachelorette does make gorgeous music. The cerebral lyrics and warm and wispy vocals lay over a humming drone and popping plastic beats, with layered ah-ha-ah, ah-ha-ha backing vocals that would make the late Mary Hansen of Stereolab (RIP) smile down upon it happily. Who knew that a girl could have a love affair with a computer and then convince that computer to make dinner party music? I'm pretty impressed by this, because I can't even seem to get my computer to send a convincing email.

This post is timely, because Bachelorette will be making a rare trip over from New Zealand to do a sweeping tour of the US over the next couple of months. In LA, she'll be at The Smell on June 1st, then back again to play the Troubadour July 1st supporting Bill Callahan.





http://www.myspace.com/bachelorettepop

1 comment:

  1. One of the things I remember most about my 10-day poor girl road trip of New Zealand was loving nearly everything I heard on the radio and then coming back to the states and not being able to find any of it. thanks for pointing me to something that I can actually purchase on iTunes.

    ReplyDelete