Thursday, May 7, 2009

5/7 - The Rockafire Explosion

When I was a little girl, all of the best birthday parties were always held at Showbiz Pizza. There were games, there was pizza, there was beer for your parents, and there was the Rockafire Explosion. The Rockafire Explosion, to me, was pretty much the most rock and roll, totally awesome thing I'd ever seen. It was a band of animal robots. Some people might say that the Rockafore Explosion isn't a real band, but when I was 8 joining that band was one of my dreams in life. There was something completely awesome about watching a big fat gorilla rocking the piano, and a bipedal wolf ventriloquist trading barbs with a hayseed bear in striped pants. When other kids were pretending to be Cyndi Lauper, I shit you not, I was putting a collander on my head and sitting behind a mini piano with a home made Rockafire logo, and lipsyncing to one of the Rockafire 45s I won from skeeball tickets. It sounds crazy, and it's a little embarrassing, but it's true.

In the late 90's Showbiz was no more, and the Rockafire became a thing of the past to everyone but for a few lucky diehards who bought whole band set-ups and put them in their garages. But thanks to those guys, we get some really unbelievable YouTube brilliance.

I can describe it as much as I want, but it's nothing like seeing it, so here's a few clips. The first is a trailer for a great documentary I just saw tonight, actually. The second is a video of the band singing "Pop Lock and Drop It" which is pretty much one of the most mindblowing things I've ever seen. I only wish I could still go to my local pizza place, order a pie and a pitcher and see this stuff live again. It makes me smile.




No comments:

Post a Comment