Friday, May 8, 2009

5/8 - Gino Washington

I suppose this week is a lot less about brand new music for me, because I've been revisiting some of my 60s soul collection and enjoying the hell out of it. Not too long ago, I bought this Gino Washington CD off of my friend Mr. Tim Murphy (prounounced like Timurphy - one word, like Prince, and other super important people who don't need two names), who is pretty much my guru for all things Soul and R&B, and frankly, Garage Rock as well. He assured me I would love Gino Washington, and indeed I do.

Gino served his musical time in the burgeoning R&B scene in Detroit in the early '60s - around the same time Motown was making its indelible mark in the world of popular music. Unlike the Motown acts, however, Gino represented a little bit more of a raw, untamed brand of dance music - with the stage moves of James Brown and a rough-hewn Jackie Wilson delivery. He was just 13 when he wrote his hit "Out of this World" and I'd go so far as to say that it's one of the finest teen-written songs I've ever heard. It holds up mightily alongside bigger hits of the day. Gino was purportedly inspired by Jackie Wilson, Elvis Presley and Johnny Mathis, and each of those inspirations shows in the music. He's frantic, yet smooth - alternately brash, and subtle. Equally adept at floorshakers and clutch-and-hug crooners.

Just for the record - this is not the same as Geno Washington who recorded some light weight soul sides in England in the later 6os as Geno Washington and the Ram Jam Band. As a result of Geno-with-an-E, Gino-with-an-I never made it over to England to play due to the confusion of the monikers. When he finally heard Geno Washington's stuff, his response was a very indignant, "I NEVER RECORDED NONE OF THIS CRAP!" He said, "I herd this guy's records and got physically sick! he better hope he never meets me. I told a promoter in England to book a duel." You gotta love the man's fire, and I'll guarantee that every spark of it burns in his music.



No comments:

Post a Comment