Monday, July 13, 2009

7/13 - Django Django

What is it about the name of this band that makes me think of a hipster Hamburgler? I really can't help but saying the name Django Django like RubbleRubble, and then I get oddly hungry for a Quarter Pounder w/Cheese. And while one has to assume that the name at least obliquely refers to guitar legend Django Reinhardt, the music gives us no indication of any kind of sonic connection.

What we have here is a folk/electronic, rhythmic, acoustic/electric mish mash created by a group that has to be really sick and tired of being compared to, say, early outings of The Beta Band. But, hey, I like the Beta Band, so it's no insult from my end. And I like Django Django. I find the swelling, layered vocals to be somehow both soothing and tense at the same time, and overall just plain pleasing.

As yet, the band remains unsigned. However, you can order a nice copy of the Storm/Love's Dart 7" on Pure Groove. As a bonus, you can order it with a poster of some kind of esoteric album art that will send a big ole Fuck You message to your kid's Jonas Brothers posters.



http://www.myspace.com/djangotime

No comments:

Post a Comment