Friday, July 24, 2009

7/24 - Flashback Friday: Lee Hazelwood

Lee Hazelwood is probably most famous for writing Nancy Sinatra's "These Boots Are Made For Walkin'," and beyond that for his long time collaboration with her as both a songwriter and a duet partner. And as much as "Boots" is a pop music giant, what Hazelwood molded Nancy's wispy vocals into in their other tracks was often much stranger and esoteric. Back in the early '90s I used to fall asleep listening to Slowdive's Souvlaki album pretty often. As far as nap records go, that one is seriously the king - which is no insult, I assure you, because it's also beautiful and perfect. But, as a bonus track on that CD they do a straightforward cover of Hazelwood/Sinatra's "Some Velvet Morning." When I learned that this eerie tempo shifting, fairy tale of a song was originally on a Nancy Sinatra album, I think I probably coughed out all the pot smoke I'd just inhaled, grabbed my high interest Best Buy credit card and went in search of Sinatra. Even today when I listen to "Some Velvet Morning" on my coveted Nancy & Lee LP, I can't believe that this song is 40 years old. It's like a cross between a Spaghetti Western and an acid trip!

But not to dwell so much on one single song, because Lee's other output is equally impressive. He was in a film called "Cowboy in Sweden" and cut a terrific soundtrack, and did an album with Ann Margaret (who does actually seem like a suitable follow up to Nancy), and if you can find any of those around your local record store, you should buy them immediately. Hazelwood's basement-deep vocals recall a more elusive and less serious Johnny Cash - as you can hear pretty clearly in his and Nancy's pleasing cover of "Jackson." It's a voice that rattles the seat of your pants, and spreads from your chest to your fingers. It's sad, but comforting. Masculine, but sensitive.

Enjoy.





No comments:

Post a Comment