Friday, September 4, 2009

9/4: Flashback Friday - Hall & Oates

Yep, I'm going there. And here's why:

Wednesday I got a pair of free tickets to see Hall & Oates live. My appreciation for Daryl and John has been growing over the years, as I realize that they're probably one of the only actual legit blue-eyed soul groups with any chops. I grew up on this stuff and never really thought of it as even vaguely r&b, but the way they sang it Wednesday night it sure was. Not kidding - they were awesome. And if I'm saying "awesome" you know I've just guzzled a whole pitcher of the Kool-aid.

I found it particularly perceptive when Daryl Hall said, "Huh, it used to be irony, now it's for real." Because they do seem to be that rare band that has crested the tide of sniggering asides to emerge on the other side in a wave of genuine appreciation. Just toss a 25 year old song into a hit, hip indie film (500 Days of Summer) and viola! Credibility returns!

But, lest we take it all too seriously, I've decided that I'm gonna post a nice little "remix" of a video with a special appearance by one of my favorite artists - keyboard cat. Hey, it's about to be a three day weekend. Let's bring it on home. Take it away kitty...

No comments:

Post a Comment