Wednesday, September 9, 2009

9/9/09 - Dead Man's Bones

First, a message from your humble blogger: If there's anyone here reading this regularly, I apologize for being a little remiss in posting lately. I've got some paying gig deadlines, and I haven't had my usual time to seek out new music that excites me. If I disappear here and there, I'll be back. Things get a lot better next month in the land of free time.

Now, Dead Man's Bones. Another in the list of actor/singers. This time, our entry comes by way of Ryan Gosling. Frankly, I'll admit, I'm really glad that his music is as hot as he is. In a creepy, funeral cabaret kind of way, at least.

The latest song is called "My Body's a Zombie For You" and incorporates the #1 musical flair of the millenium: the children's choir. Despite its overwhelming prevelance in indie and electronic music over the last year or two - Peter Bjorn & John, Justice, Sound of Arrows, Karen O's new song for "Where the Wild Things Are" - I still find it to be an appealing affectation. Yeah, I like ALL of those songs - either because of the kiddie warbling, or despite it depending on the day.

I guess the real surprise lies in the fact that Gosling, a former New Mickey Mouse Club cast member along with the lamentable Britney Spears, has not only managed to snare himself some credibility in the acting world, but isn't embarrassing himself on the mic either. Let's call it Elvis by way of Richard Hawley by way of Dresden Dolls or something like that...

Here's another song of his, complete with choir, live from where else? a cemetary.

No comments:

Post a Comment