Tuesday, August 4, 2009

8/3 - My Tiger My Timing

I'm beginning to suspect that the world is running out of band names. I can only in my wildest imagination guess what the hell My Tiger My Timing was inspired by when naming themselves. Unless one of them is a one armed drummer who owns a tiger and was a little slow at feeding time, I remain baffled.

It reminds me of this one time when I was hanging out with my much-much-cooler-than-me friends Cathy and Tyler at someone's fancy loft apartment in Dallas. As, I'm not kidding you, a parade of models visiting from NY traipsed in and out, the owner of the loft was attempting to pirate Adult Swim episodes and talking about his record collection. As I'm watching this conversation with all the slightly disturbed wonder a naturist displays watching birds screw mid-flight, the loft owner asks Tyler, "Have you heard the Bald Mermaid album?" At this point, I prod Cathy and stage whisper, "You've got to be fucking kidding me, right?" She nonchalantly exhales a stream of smoke in the direction of, no kidding, a Bald Mermaid album. So, I adopt this nonchalance and respond to the group, "It's not nearly as innovative as the Constipated Yak album that came out the same year." Needless to say, they weren't amused, so I went back to sulking and surreptitiously ogling the models.

Unwieldy name aside, My Tiger My Timing is nice experimental pop 4 piece band out of South London. Though they've been accused of twiddling with afrobeat rhythms, I find that a lot more obvious in their remixes. In the first single, released late in '08 called "This is Not the Fire," the real ear-catching part of the sound comes from the melding of an almost Tina Weymouth/Tom Tom Club sensibility with a 4-part free for all on the vocals. I'm not sure that they're breaking any new ground here, but they've definitely got catchy in their back pockets, so I look forward to the release of their first EP, "I Am Sound" coming out in September.



http://www.myspace.com/mytigermytiming

No comments:

Post a Comment