Monday, June 1, 2009

6/1 - Emil & Friends

Welcome to another episode of Musical Mysteries and Rumors No One Actually Cares About. In this episode, I present to you the upcoming group Emil & Friends. Buzz around the internet, and by buzz I mean nearly inaudible hum, suggests that this group is either A) a musical project of "internationally famous" actor Emile Hirsch, B) actually just one guy with no friends in sight, or C) maybe a band who "plays music inspired by what we believe is God's message to everyone." Well, folks, it's okay to come in off the ledge now, because I think I can shed some light on this worldwide conundrum.

First, I can't imagine that anyone believes that if Emile Hirsch was actually making music, it would sound anything like this at all. Because, probably, it wouldn't. And what Emile Hirsch's (I like to keep repeating that name, because I'm betting that most people reading this are going, "who?") music might sound like, the world may never know, because this isn't it. Secondly, for the time being, according to an interview on asianmandan.com, Emil is friendless. He's just a guy, namely Bostonite Emil Hewitt, playing on his own. But a man likes to keep his options open for a good jam session, right? Thirdly, one only has to guess that these guys: www.emilandfriends.com, who are playing churches and coffeehouses for Jesus are not the same Emil, and probably not his friends either. Though I almost wish that they were. Could you imagine hearing something great on a blog only to later find out that it was played by three guys that look like your dad's old cop buddies from 1987? I think I'd love that, actually.

So, the real Emil & Friends...well, I'm not sure what to call this music. Sometimes, like in "Short Order Cooks," it sounds like something that you'd hear played before an Ashford & Simpson concert. Sometimes, like in "Downed Economy" it sounds like grimy guitar disco with spacepop vocals. Let's just call it a collage and call it a day, shall we?

http://www.myspace.com/emilandfriends

No comments:

Post a Comment