Wednesday, June 3, 2009

6/2 - Chew Lips

Kitsune. Boy is that a word I've been reading a lot lately. The fact that this France-based electronic music label is an offshoot of a hipster clothing line, would probably be really annoying if the music they were putting out just wasn't so damn good. I'll admit, I'm drinking the Kitsune Kool-aid, because more often than not, I find myself pretty excited about the bands they choose to support. Anything from French booty electro punk hotshots Yelle to radio-ready La Roux, Cut Copy, Digitalism, A Trak, etc. etc. is fair game. If it thumps, jumps or humps, and it's brand spanking new, Kitsune might snag it first.

No doubt I'll pick some other Kitsune-approved artists for my Daily Bomb at some point down the road. It's as inevitable as Kenny Rogers' beard staying grey, I dare say. But, first up, I choose Chew Lips. Patterns speak for themselves, so if you've read any other entries here, you may have guessed that I favor a girl singer. No exception here. Honeydripping vocalist Tigs croons over Will & James' warm electronic soundtrack. They describe their own music as "drone disco/space synth pop," and I suppose my ears can back that claim. However, what makes them stand out is that Tigs' vocals take a front seat to the spacedronediscopop, and carry a strength that outstrips a lot of her wispy-voice-as-subtle-instrument contemporaries. Although their tunes are worthy of some sing-alongs, they also don't try too hard to slap you in the face with any kind of sloganeering. It's pop music alright, but is happily lacking in pop's disposability.



http://www.myspace.com/chewlips

No comments:

Post a Comment