Wednesday, June 3, 2009

6/3 - The Lady Tigra

"We're Tigra and Bunny and we like the Boom!" Ah, 1988. I'm sure there were other things going on in the world, but I was only 13 that year, and I didn't give a crap about anything but making mix tapes by holding a tape recorder up to the radio. Due to the pitfalls of this recording method, Lady Tigra and Bunny D, the Miami teens that made up L'Trimm didn't like the "Cars that Go Boom," on my mix they liked the "Cars that go SHHH! Gahh mom! I'm like recording!?" This may or may not have been worse than the unfortunate unintentional Lionel Richie karaoke I had on another masterpiece mixtape, but since these gems are long gone, I guess we'll never know.

The girls of L'Trimm were hot stuff back in the late 80's to my crowd of teens and tweens, because not only did they pump out some catchy rhymes and wear some dope clothes, but they were also under the age of 18. This doled out a lot of hope to metal-mouthed youths such as myself that superstardom could, good lord, be right around the corner! Although theoretically descendants of the Miami Bass style of rap, L'Trimm (possibly because of their youth) were considered to be better representations of radio-friendly pop music. They knocked out a couple of albums, never finding anything with the hook to follow the success of "Cars With the Boom," and drifted into the mysterious purgatory that houses all one-hit-wonders and the socks you lose in the dryer. Bunny D got married and had four children, and Lady Tigra stayed active in music by managing clubs in Miami. Until recently...

Lady Tigra, sans Bunny, older and wiser, is back on the scene. The odd and perhaps wonderful thing is that her music and style has scarcely changed one iota from the original L'Trimm sound, save for the barest evidence of vocal maturity. Despite this, it sounds shockingly modern. I guess that everything eventually comes around again with fashion and music, and our Lady Tigra happened to be savvy enough last year to recognize that her time is back around. Welcome back, I say, though a little belatedly.

http://www.myspace.com/theladytigra

1 comment:

  1. That's frickin' insane! She does sound just the same. Kind of bizarre.

    I also used to love "the cars that go boom" and I've often thought about how the current trend of ladies sing-song rapping over a dance beat reminds me of JJ Fad, Oaktown 3,5,7 and that set.

    ReplyDelete