Wednesday, June 17, 2009

6/17 - Duchess Says

I think the moral of my day is "sometimes it's okay to just stop trying to understand something and accept that it is just nonsense." That moral applies to many things today - like the rule that I'll always start my period right before I'm about to go on vacation, or the fact that Quizno's is way more fattening than McDonalds,or for example, the band Duchess Says. I tried to read what Duchess Says has to say for themselves, and what I gathered was the following:

"Duchess Says was created to insure a faithful representation of the message of the Duchess (or spiritual budgie)...Duchess Says has the mandate to decontextualize the rock and to promote simultaneously their Church on the way."

What the hell are they going on about? Seriously, Duchess Says, don't fuck with me today. I've been listening to your song "Black Flag" and I think it's pretty damned amazing, but it's one thing to sound like a meth-thrash version of Karen O with her hand in a blender every now and then, but another thing entirely to walk around talking like one. Is this because you're Canadian? French Canadian? Or what?

So, I'm going to ignore all that spiritual budgie (yeah, budgie, like the bird) stuff, and I'm going to just channel my rage into your music, which, as it turns out, is kind of an easy thing to do. Especially when you are singing a drum track.

Speaking of being bananas, the video for "Black Flag" is made up of some pretty creepy footage of a cult from a documentary called FEAR IS THE MASTER about the cult of guru Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh up in Oregon a few decades ago. Yeah, those people aren't dancing to that song, they're just brainwashed, like Tegan & Sara fans only worse.







http://www.myspace.com/duchesssays

No comments:

Post a Comment