Friday, June 26, 2009

6/26 - The Magic Wands





The Magic Wands have been making their rounds on the internet for the last several months. Their current single "Black Magic" has already been given a couple of remix treatments, most notably by Crystal Fighters (a group for whom my jury is still out). But my jury was kick-in-the-ass unanimous on The Magic Wands since I first heard "Teenage Love" a couple of months ago. And while that song is both a romantic and a horny ode to boy/girl pop, with female lead vocals pinching your arm like a disaffected Debbie Harry, and some whitey-rap style agreement from the boy half of our duo. "Black Magic"...I just can't stop listening to it. It's the kind of perfectly catchy, crunchy guitar, electronic-hand-clapping, straightforward pop song that I keep finding myself singing loudly when I'm at stoplights on my scooter. Funny enough, no member of my unwitting traffic audience has even once said, "Hey, what's that wonderful song you are singing so horribly?" Fucking Los Angeles...so unfriendly! So what if my voice sounds like my cat doing Radiohead covers?

You know, another thing I love about Magic Wands is that they are just so adorable. Apparently the story goes like this: Chris and Dexy Valentine met after Chris found one of Dexy's songs on Myspace. That song, incidentally, was "Teenage Love." They started talking on the phone like the song's titular teenagers, and took a liking to exchanging gifts through the mail, and writing each other songs (Chris wrote Dexy "Kiss Me Dead," which would be their first recording as a band). Some time last year, Dexy left her home in LA, and moved closer to Chris in Nashville. They named their band The Magic Wands after Dexy's favorite present she received from Chris.

Now doesn't that melt your little black hearts enough to make you want to punch small woodland creatures? Because it sure does mine. And the best thing is that their music totally sounds like it comes from just this kind of sweet little pairing. And, man! I love it.

http://www.myspace.com/themagicwands





No comments:

Post a Comment